Posted by: Kim Wall | December 3, 2009

Tafe Week 20

After some preliminary animations I decide that I need a wall and door to completed the room.

Here are some of my final rendered images.

Advertisements
Posted by: Kim Wall | December 3, 2009

Tafe Week 20

I am now up to the stage of lighting the room, I am dreading this aspect of the project as I suspect that effectively lighting the room is going to be quite difficult. In the end I receive some help from my teacher, who suggests that I make the roof panel an object that emits light.

This suggestion proves to be valuable, however once I render some images the following problem occurs. 

This problem is remedied with the implementation of a different render, Raydosity in this case. These settings diffuse the shadows nicely and grain up the image a little bit. Below are the settings that were used to render my animation and images. The problem with this render is that it takes a very long time to output. In the end I use eight computers to render out my 13-second animation. 

render settings

Posted by: Kim Wall | December 3, 2009

Tafe Week 19

After I completed the placing and the sizing all of the furniture and accessories, I affix some texture to the models. At first I wanted the furniture and the floor to have a blonde wood appearance. The wooden textures I chose do not compliment each other, they clash. Below is the texture of  the floor I thought I would originally apply.


After much adding and removing of textures I decide to make the furniture glossy white in appearance. After this decision it was quite easy to texture the rest of the room. The greater part of the lounge room and it’s content is made up of the following textures: chrome, white gloss and tan leather. The texture of the walls, were taken from a picture of light stucco and the texture of the floor is a Japanese tatimi mat. I sourced these images from the internet. 

Wall texture.


Floor texture.

Couch texture.

My room is almost complete. All I need to do now is add a window and a roof. I decide I do not want curtains on my window as I want to see out the window, the reflection of the room in the glass and I also want to keep the room looking minimal. 

 

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 27, 2009

Tafe Week 19

I started this week with the creation of the wall and floors to my lounge room. I am unsure how to size the walls and floor. I made things more difficult for myself by trying to add a window and entrance at the same time. I found it difficult to negotiate the size of the window as I had no reference point. After several failed attempts I create three walls and a floor and forget about the window and entrance for now. I then added the modular lounge and armchair. After adding these models I have a reference point for the sizing of the other models. I continue to add the rest of the furniture and some accessories. Once I have completed this, I find the room to be too cluttered. I resize the room, I change the width and length over and over again. To try and understand why the room is not feeling right. I feel unsatisfied, I take a look at several online furniture catalogues for some inspiration. I eventually come to the conclusion that the room would look less cluttered if I leave out the two-seater lounge.

Once I was happy with the positioning and the size of the room. I began to add textures to the models. Intillay I had planned the table, shelves and floor to be textured with a lighter coloured wood.

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 27, 2009

Week 18

I have completed all of the furniture for my lounge room. I begin to create some accessories. At first a bowl. I then add some green apples to the bowl. These apples were models that came preset within Strata. I choose green apples for there colour, size and being an organic material (in the real world).

I then then added some plants. I choose the plants that came with Strata. I attempted to create my own plants, but I failed miserably. I am going to attempt (if I have the time) to create my own plants again once I have completed the room. I created the pot plants to fit within the decor that I I have created.

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 27, 2009

Week 18

After completing the weld joins on these wall shelves, I get the feeling that I am starting to understand the basic concepts of 3D modeling a little more.

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 27, 2009

Tafe Week 18

The next model that I created was the lighting track with three spotlights. I amended the bauhaus lamp that I created earlier (in week 16) to make this 3D model.

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 27, 2009

Tafe week 17

Here is the top to the coffee table.

Notice the inlay on the side?

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 26, 2009

Tafe Week 17

This is the table legs of my coffee table. It was quite difficult to construct these legs. I had a problem with achieving a consistent thickness in the curve. The shape was achieved with the subdivide, extrude, scale, bevel commands and tools. I am quite thankful for Stratas mirror tool. This feature allowed me to construct half of the legs and mirror the image (to create the above image). I would use this feature numerous time in the construction of my lounge room.

Posted by: Kim Wall | November 26, 2009

Tafe Week 16-17

After spending much of the day (with no luck) trying to figure out a way to construct a bauhaus lamp, I decided to search the internet for some tutorials and tips. I eventually came across this page http://www.simplystrata.com/extrusion.html. This tutorial explains how to animate an extruded tube. I was able to use some of these principles in this tutorial to create the stand in my lamp. The rest of the lamp was quite easy to construct.

Older Posts »

Categories